We draw on deep backgrounds in economics and politics to bring you solutions that work in today’s political climate.
We are expanding quickly and looking for the right people to join our team. A number of opportunities exist, including Intern and Consultant positions. This means that we will fit the role responsibilities around the skills, experience and ambitions of the successful candidates. Packages are also competitive and based on experience.
For all roles, you’ll:
- Be based in our busy and friendly office in the heart of Westminster;
- Support and / or lead applied public policy and economic consulting work on the policy issues that matter today;
- Build or further develop your contacts with businesses, charities, policy makers and politicians across Westminster and the UK;
- Build or further develop your understanding of UK politics and gain experience working on multiple different policy areas and political issues; and
- Contribute to the direction and growth of a growing small business.
What are the responsibilities?
We are a small team of six, meaning that we all cover a range of different areas of work and the responsibilities of successful candidates will be shaped around their skills, experience and ambitions.
However, to provide an example, the day-to-day work of the team includes:
- Conducting literature reviews and data analysis on key policy issues;
- Producing detailed policy reports and briefing materials for clients;
- Building models to understand the potential impacts of policy change on consumer and / or business behaviour and the UK economy;
- Engaging with senior business leaders, politicians and civil servants across the UK;
- Speaking at roundtable and public events to promote our work and inform debate; and
- Designing impactful social media content to make an impact with our work.
- Research skills: experience of using a wide range of sources including government documents, academic literature, and grey literature, to produce insightful and accurate analyses and summaries of policy issues.
- Quantitative experience: experience of applying statistical and economic techniques to provide analysis that makes an impact with experts and non-experts. In particular, experience or ambition to learn data analysis and modelling skills using Excel and / or other analysis packages (e.g. STATA, R, Tableau).
- Communications and writing skills: the ability to clearly and concisely distil complex political and policy issues down into a clear and comprehensible set of findings in both verbal and written formats.
- Policy interest: an interest in the main policy debates occurring within the United Kingdom, and interest/experience in applying theory to practical policy issues.
- Political awareness: an appreciation and understanding of political news, trends, and issues, and the ability to understand their implications for the business, and clients.
- Experience of working with large-scale survey data (e.g. Labour Force Survey, Understanding Society) and / or Government datasets such as Stat-Xplore and NOMIS would be an advantage.
- Experience of (or ambition to gain experience in) creating data visualisations and interactive data dashboards using packages such as Tableau.
We offer a competitive package that will be based on the experience and skills of the successful candidate. We are a certified London Living Wage employer.
It is envisaged that the salary ranges for these positions will be between London Living Wage and £30,000 per annum.
Our most recent intern was recently accepted onto the Civil Service Fast Stream programme. You can see what others have thought of working at WPI Economics here.
Equal opportunities, diversity and flexible working:
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity. We are also happy to discuss flexible working arrangements.
WPI Economics is always on the look out for talented economic consultants to join our team. At WPI Economics, we value individuals with a strong team ethic, an inquisitive nature and excellent communication skills. You will be working in a small and flexible team delivering high quality analyses alongside a supportive and well-connected network in the heart of Westminster.
Please send all applications and/ or queries to email@example.com